Monday, May 21, 2007

Remembering and Celebrating Malcolm X


From the looks of these last 2 posts...those of you who know me personally can tell that I spent the weekend with my Father. So I'm on that T.I.P this week (if you know what I mean)...LOL anyway - more seriously...

May 19, 2007 would have been Malcolm X's 82nd birthday. He was only 39-years-old when he was assassinated.
Today - We remember our brother Malcolm X.
The words of Malcolm X -

“We declare our right on this earth to be a human being, to be respected as a human being, to be given the rights of a human being in this society, on this earth, in this day, which we intend to bring into existence by any means necessary.”

“Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American. Being born here in America doesn't make you an American.”

“The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.”

"When a person places the proper value on freedom, there is nothing under the sun that he will not do to acquire that freedom. Whenever you hear a man saying he wants freedom, but in the next breath he is going to tell you what he won't do to get it, or what he doesn't believe in doing in order to get it, he doesn't believe in freedom. A man who believes in freedom will do anything under the sun to acquire . . . or preserve his freedom."

"You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom."

"Stumbling is not falling."

"Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it."

"The only way we'll get freedom for ourselves is to identify ourselves with every oppressed people in the world. We are blood brothers to the people of Brazil, Venezuela, Haiti, Cuba -- yes Cuba too."

"I believe that there will ultimately be a clash between the oppressed and those that do the oppressing. I believe that there will be a clash between those who want freedom, justice and equality for everyone and those who want to continue the systems of exploitation."

"I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against."

- Malcolm X
May 19, 1925February 21, 1965

4 comments:

jendayi said...

thanks for posting this.

It is What It Is... said...

Somebody had too. When I spend time with my Dad...I find that I always get political you know? He does that to me.

I mean as you well know through my emails - I'm "black-power" on a regular -lol.

But he makes me remember where I come from and that the legacy should always be publicized.

He pulled me up while reading my blog last week and was like: "where is your political commentary? Where is your real writings on what's happening to our people? Where is your head? Its not about you Jessica, you have the opportunity w/ your blog to reach the masses...even if its only one person."

So he challenged me to do one post per week that was African Centered to educated the readers. So we'll see....

T.a.c.D said...

I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it's for or against."

and that is what its all about the TRUTH and JUSTICE

*my fist in the air*

POWER to the PEOPLE....

Unknown said...

My first time visiting your blog. I also posted on Malcolm X last month in celebration of his birthday.

I look forward to visiting you again in the future.

peace, Villager