Monday, May 14, 2007

The Gray Family - Mother's Day Celebration...

Some of the women in my family -
From Left to Right: Mommy, Aunt Mary, Auntie V, ME, Kelli, Grandma Helen and Aunt Joy
Yesterday was fabulous...but it was long as I don't know what. BUT overall! My weekend started out great -

Friday - girl's night out w/ T.C. Rika, J.A.C. and K.C. (which was unbelievably fun, mainly because I was off the hook and in rare "celebrity" form as USUAL) Pic's and recap to post soon on all of their blogs (including mine) soon...

Saturday - I was in Soccer Mom mode. Myself and some other Moms volunteered and had a bake sale to rasie money for my daughter's awesome ballet school. We had so much fun...I'm going to do a post about them soon (The Black & Fabulous Soccer Moms).
Especially since I found out Saturday that most of them have been "secretly" reading my blog. HA! LOL!

Sunday
- I got up at 6:00 a.m. in the morning to begin cooking for our Annual Mother's Day Celebration and then I went to church with the family. Usually, the men will cook (Mainly My Dad) but this year...the young ladies (me and kelli took over in the kitchen)...AND Yes - I can burn. Holla at your girl.

I hate to brag...but I'm going to do it anyway! lol - See, I've always been able to cook, I just haven't been this good until NOW. It took some time, committment and training in the kitchen. But its official now. I can burn.

Here was my menu:
BBQ Chicken
Fried Chicken
Green Beans w/Turkey Meat
Potato Salad (off the chain - you betta ask somebody)
Yellow Rice
Fried Whitings
Sweet-n-Sour Turkey Meatballs
We also had Crabs...


As you can tell from the menu - I'm old school and ghetto and proud of it.

But at times, my other family members can be slightly catergorized as black bourgeois' which really means: ghetto fabulous.

Here's why: MOST of the family, (with all their College Degrees and Oprah and Rachel Ray edu-ma-cation on health ) is on this "New-Age health kick."

They complained about how fattening my menu was and that "African Americans" needed to eat healthier and that "we needed to re-vamp the traditional soulfood menu," etc., etc., blah, blah, blah............but when I looked up, they all had full plates accompanied by greasy lips, fingers and hands from the fried chicken and fish.

Anyway, One of my aunt's (who is a health maniac) kindly told me that we needed to get away from eating fried foods, etc. And I kindly told her to BEAT it! I'm NEVER giving up fried chicken and fish - so Holla!

After I ate, I got what is known as the I-TIS (quick definition: when some African Americans eat home cooked meals they are known to become weary, sluggish or lethargic), so I laid down and watched I Love New York re-runs until I fell asleep.

Later that night, I was so excited to find out from Mommy while she was cleaning the kitchen that we had absolutely NO leftovers. NONE. They tore my food up ya'll. I'm so proud of myself. One of my Uncles told me that he thinks I might be ready for a husband now. HA!

Anyway - the day was great. I got to spend time with the family...which is always fun.
A-Da-Boe (Granny) was there with Grandpop. And boy were they off the hook. My grandfather kept pacing around back and forth asking "when are we going to eat, I ain't eat nothin' all day chile" lol

Maybe we do need to eat healthier...who knows? but I will say this: My grandfather has been eating soulfood all his life...and he's almost 90 years old and can get around better than my aunt who is an organic health food fanatic (lol) and in his words, "a little bit of fried chicken and fish ain't never hurt nobody."

Me and Aunt Joy (my other mother) lol -
Check out her website too - she's the Gospel Artist known as "Joy Omega" out of Texas: http://www.joyomega.com/default.htm

Happy Belated Mothers Day to all the Mommies!

9 comments:

JUST THANKIN..... said...

Sounds like complete and absolute fun!

Anonymous said...

Nice pics and I know how "mentally challenged" your family is so I know y'all had quite a time...if you know what I mean...LOL!!! Anyway, nice post and recap of your weekend and Mother's Day.

It is What It Is... said...

@ Just Thankin - Yes...it was. I should've put in there how my daughter's father didn't call to wish me a happy mother's day...he's such a damn bum!

@ Rika - we missed you Rika. You've been a permenant fixture at all of the family events...geeze! Get it together!

And yes! my family is freaking crazy!

Mica said...

I am glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day----Girl, i am with you fried fish and chicken will never leave my side----LOVE It, Just Love It....

It is What It Is... said...

@ Mica - thanks for stopping bye!

Monie said...

Beautiful pics! Man, that menu made my mouth water! LOL!

jendayi said...

family is wonderful, aren't they?!

T.a.c.D said...

man mothers day was OFF the HOOK all the way around for us all i see...man I had a ball...i see you all did too...and YES folks she actually CAN burn!

mommy said...

Girl, the pic is super fabulous!!! Yes, you eat too many fattening foods... remember you have to stay healthy b/c (Anyone want to raise Selah?):) Jessie and Kellie a special "thank you" again for a funfilled day. Love you much.