Thursday, April 26, 2007

The Praying Hands/What is the World Coming To?

Well - I'm on my way to work this morning and I'm driving along...minding my business. Listening to Democracy Now...

I'm in the far right lane...attempting to merge into traffic before that far right lane ends...

I signal and move on in...however, MY mother's VAN a.k.a. THE GAS GUZZLER - has a serious blind spot...so I didn't see the small compact car speed up and merge behind me as well...
So I almost - well we almost ran into eachother...well - let me keep it real...
I (JCROFT) almost had another accident. LOL

The driver, who had to be a middle-aged (50-year) old white woman slammed down on her horn pointed her finger at me and mouthed/yelled:

"Watch it! You Stupid F*cking Idiot" and then gave me the middle finger.

Now - my daughter is watching the entire scene in the back seat and says to me:

"Mommy, that lady said a bad word to you Mommy! and her daughter is in the back seat! She better hurry up and ask the Lord for forgiveness"

Incredible right? - well that's my little mama for you...lol

Anyway, I decided that I would engage in a little road rage this morning myself -

I sped up, changed lanes to get on the side of her, slammed my horn to get her attention...and I did something I've never done before...

I gave her the Praying Hands....

Yes - the praying hands ya'll. LOL

She responded by giving me the Looney Tune gesture (like I was crazy because I didn't give her the finger back or curse - but because I responded to her with a spiritual/or religious hand gesture)...

God knows - I wanted to curse that Lady out so badd this morning...LOL - It really took alot to not go off...mainly because my little mama' was in the car....lol

But I felt sorry for the lady and her daughter...

I really did. I looked at the expression of the 7 or 8 year-old girl sitting in the back seat and she had this blank look on her face...but her eyes, her eyes looked so sad...they really did.

I mean, who would want to grow up with a parent that behaved that way? A parent that used bad words and said bad things? what message was she sending to her child?

But the little girls eyes and facial expression were familiar to me...because I saw myself sitting there, in the back seat - that was me 20 years ago...just a different time and a different place (that's a whole other journal entry...but anyway...)

I was so glad my response was the praying hands instead of the middle finger...and apparently, my daughter was as well...

She later told me: "Mommy, I'm going to pray for that Lady, because its not right that she uses those bad words..."
And at that moment...it was all worth it...Everything

10 comments:

T.a.c.D said...

wow...that's all i can say is wow...that was the BEST response ever Croft...BEST...and i know it was hard...that just put a smile on my face and I can see my lil momma now...it is all worth it in the end

K.C. said...

LMBO! I can just see you now Jess!....You and your girl are incredible individuals I must say! It's kinda sad, cuz that's something I would probably never think to do!...until now! The praying hands! Oh...Imma use that one. Or I'll mouth the words and sign..."I'll....Pray....4.....YOU" With a big ol' smile.

It is What It Is... said...

Girrrlllls - I know! Selah is out of control funny! One time, she told me that she was going to tell the "Holy Spirit" on me...LMBO! Yes! that's what you get for Private/Christian Educations nowadays...your children tell you that they're going to Tell Jehovah on you. LOL

But yes - I love the Praying Hands gesture...GOD ROCKS! HA!

Anonymous said...

Jessica, I'm so proud of you. I'm glad that your little angel was there to keep thy tongue from evil. You need to know (and if you know me), when I first read about your road rage, my first instinct was, I HOPE JESSICA GAVE IT TO THAT "B"! Sometimes, we need to gather ourselves before we react and then over react. Thank you little mama! The next time I experience an incident on the road, I'll have to think of your baby. Thank God that my children aren't with me when I'm commuting in the morning. I don't have to worry about them witnessing their mother in a frenzy! Thanks for that tid bit.

Kdjah said...

Okay...not trying to be a wet blanket here but...you were on the expressway and took your hands off the steering wheel to give a nut job the praying hands gesture? Hmmm, I am so missing the point on this one. Sorry babe love you tho-...

It is What It Is... said...

@Kdjah! It was on the road! I wasn't on the express way! You're so extra! Geeze! LMAO

Anonymous said...

You made me turn myself in and leave a comment on this one.All of your blogs have been enjoyful but this on was powerfull because I'm glad my lil mama showed some self controll.I'm lacking in that nature but I am learning.Good things come to good folks so take care and you will be takin care of.

jendayi said...

lmbo!! thank you for keeping your composure miss thang. thanks on behalf of selah as well.

look at you blogging your butt off!! i didn't know!

It is What It Is... said...

@J.A.C. - hahaha! Yes...I'm blogging my butt off because I've found it to be a form of therapy...

I've ALSO found it to be a form of flattery when you aren't getting it from people you actually know...hahaha

Yes - ALL "REAL" bloggers are Egoists....

Southern_Lady said...

Aww that was so great. It always amazes me that even the youngest of children feel and know the power of God and prayer. That was good thing you did.